Some people shy away from dark floors for their homes because they think that such colour could make the space look dull, small, and gloomy.
Dark floors can indeed make a room look dingy, but only if not decorated right. The rich look of dark floors, whether wood, carpet, vinyl, or engineered timber can bring out a room’s charm and add elegance. The key is to use the right colour combination. The overall colours used –for the floor, walls, and the pieces of furniture are what really give the total impression.
Here are some tips for decorating a room with dark floors.
- Paint the walls white to reflect enough light and make the room look bright and open. If you don’t like the “too-white” look, you can paint your walls in other light colours like pale grey or beige or greige and then use white paint for the trims.
- Use white or sheer curtains to let a lot of natural light in. If using other window treatments, choose them in lighter colours.
- Choose light-coloured furniture. White, off-white, tan, beige, and light brown are good choices. You can go darker, just make sure that the furniture pieces you choose are a few shades lighter than the floor.
- Use light-coloured or neutral area rugs in some parts of the room.
- Mix a range of textures like leather, hide, velvet, or natural fibre to add more interest to the room.
- Don’t be afraid to add cheerful colours to your space. A few decorative pieces in vibrant hues or patterns can add spice to your room.
- Hang some mirrors to reflect light.
Get the Black & White Edit Lookbook.